Make your own free website on

And my cabin had its full number of people, plus a baby in it. Hugh saw the steward and the purser and eventually, I was moved to another cabin, where there were only two other occupants, one a married Canadian, (At this time, even married couples had separate cabins on board ship.) who, with her husband, was returning to St. John, Newfoundland. The other, a little nursemaid, a first class passenger. The nurse was in her birth, with a bad head.

Already, I fancy feeling the motion of the ship. It was a lovely day, until the evening, when a sudden storm of rain, thunder, and lightening began, the later was very vivid and grand to watch over the sea.

July 30 - Sunday at Sea.

I felt much refreshed after the nightís rest, although I was not allowed to keep the porthole open all night long, (No air conditioning!!!) because of the storm, and it was very hot. I found my top birth, very difficult to get into, but once there, I liked it.

Another lovely morning in the North Channel, but white horses (Waves that are high enough to break and are white on top.) are to be seen. Hundreds of gulls are following us. We had a good view of the hills on the north coast of Ireland. Hugh and I lie side by side in our deck chairs with one rug over us. This and his holding my hand for a few seconds, last night (I forget what reason.), makes all the other passengers take us for a married couple!!!

We had a service in the 1ST class salon at 11 A.M., a tall, thin Scottish minister, holding forth. We sang appropriate hymns, for those at sea. The afternoon was mostly dull and it rained at times and was much colder. As there is nowhere on deck, where second class passengers can be sheltered from the rain, we found that our covered deck chairs, were useful to defy the elements.

In the evening, the seas were very cold and we were some of the last to go below deck. No dinner for me, except for biscuits, brandy (Not all Maynardís were against a nip now and then. E.E.M.) and water.

July 31, Monday.

A cold, fine morning, but alas, we could not enjoy it. I walked with much difficulty and attempted breakfast in salon, but had to leave in a big hurry. I was not actually sick, but felt very bad. I could not keep my head up. Later, I struggled up on deck and Hugh kindly brought me up some lunch, which I tried a little later.

I stayed in my chair until 5 P.M., when the rain come down and the cold drove us below. Soup and biscuits for dinner was all I could manage. That night, however, I slept well and the stewards were most attentive.

August 1, Tuesday.

A wet cold morning, but the sea is not so rough. I managed to dress early, before attempting the stuffy salon. I got through a breakfast of tea and toast and I felt better for it. Then up on the deck, where it soon cleared and we had a breezy day with a head wind. (On board a ship, there is always a head wind, unless you are having a storm. E.E.M.) Very cold from across the Atlantic. A first class passenger, honored me with a conversation over the dividing rope. She was nice and seemed to think it a long way to go for such a short time. She said the St. Lawrence was just lovely in the autumn, that the maple trees were every shade of crimson and gold, and she knew Halifax also. We both feel better today and hope our ;Sea legs; are arriving. Hughís warm coat is made of the material they make ;Teddy Bears; of. I am sure Hugh will go by that name on board. I am still Mrs. Maynard, (It appears that Alice liked the appearance of being a Mrsí.) in some quarters. The food is plentiful, but not appetizing at all and meals are a great trial. We hope for greater things on the Canadian Pacific Liner, when we go home.

August 2, Wednesday.

Cold, northeast wind and rough sea. Salon too stuffy for words!! So still feel queer. I napped a good deal in my cabin, lying down and reading a book from the shipís library. Very tough at night.

August 3, Thursday.

The same weather as yesterday, only we both feel better. Curiously, I found out today that the Chief Steward was on the :Buenos Ayrian: seven years ago when father (Joseph Henry Maynard. 1835-1908) came this way. The steward remembered him so well and spoke so kindly of him. He said in his Scottish accent that :He was a lovely man!: He said that father had written such a nice letter, on his return home. Seemed genuinely sorry to hear that Father had been taken to his rest and asked where to find his grave.

August 4, Friday.

A very windy day, but sunshine once more. They are getting up a concert for tonight. If all goes well, we hope to get to St. John, Newfoundland, tomorrow night. Several passengers leave there and we shall have more room, everywhere. I still donít feel quite comfortable with my head up for long, but our chairs on deck are very nice today.

We have not seen a ship since Sunday night. Though they did signal the :Carthaginian: by wireless one night, an: Allon Liner: homeward bound.

August 5, Saturday.

A nicer, warmer day, until about noon, When we passed an iceberg about a mile off. It looked like two white tents on the blue sea, until we came opposite it. It changed shape completely, looking like a lean-to-hut. It was very cold, for a time, as the wind was blowing off the iceberg. We saw another to the south, but it looked gray, not having the sun on it, and it was miles off.

We sighted land about 1 P.M. - a very fine, rugged coast - and steamed into St. Johnís about 4 P.M.. It is a lovely, natural harbor with a narrow entrance between two great rocky headlands. At the waterís edge are countless small fishing huts made of wood and covered, with platforms out over the water, on stakes. These are made to dry the fish. These is not the fishing season, so we donít see much of the fishing trade going on. The city itself s not pretty at all, the houses are of wood, and the roofs are mostly flat. From the hills, they look like untidy packing cases, thrown down anywhere, waiting to be shipped. After a hasty tea (A small meal of tea and cookies, etc..) in my cabin, we climbed Signal Hill and had a joyous view of both inland and seaward. Father spoke of this hill, which he climbed in 1904. The evening was lovely and we stayed on deck, looking out to sea, imagining ourselves on a Italian lake, with moonlight on the water and hills all around.

August 6, Sunday.

Quite a warm day, though with a north-wind. We went to St. Johnís Cathedral at 11A.M. and had a nice service. A fine church and well filled up. The Bishop was about. Afterwards, we went up a hill overlooking the harbor, and also into the N.C. Cathedral, which was the best site in the city, a large stone building with twin towers. About 3 P.M., we packed biscuits and apples and started off to explore the opposite headland across the harbor. We climbed and climbed through broken-up water courses, until we reached a peak with (Do you see the clipped, English grammar? E.E.M.) lovely view all around. It was rough walking with no path, (This is how it is in all of Newfoundland. E.E.M.) but we felt rewarded, as the flowers and berries were interesting, a very vivid, large pink wild rose and mauve hundred-moon daisies just coming into bloom, which have bells, very pure and fragile looking. Besides many other things, that I do not know. We just got back in time for the 7 P.M. dinner.

Home Page Early Maynard Family Page Previous Section Next Section